12 September 2021

Karate, Candles, and Canoes (also Crockers, Kennedy, Carnival and Cider!)

 For our final Sunday date (my mom generously gifts us Sunday afternoon - kid free - outings each weekend) before my mom left for Texas, Billy wanted to Canoe down the river.  William also wanted to come, and since he doesn't get much time as an only child, we brought him along.  He was excited!  The trip was pretty fast, just over an hour.  

In fact, Billy enjoyed it so much that he took his parents the following weekend.  We needed three canoes: Enisi, Edudi, Grace & Juliet;  Billy, Emily & William; Me & Alice.  I missed out on pictures, because I don't trust myself to not drop my phone in the river.


One of our neighbors had up a sign for a church festival.  We noted the date, and spent a fun afternoon playing carnival games, eating tasty food and enjoying live music!


Emily and Abby wanted to do a coordinated costume this year, can you guess what they are going to be?


The final week before we started school, Juliet finally got to get together with her friend Kennedy!





I totally forgot to dig out the twins' 7 balloons for their birthday.  So, I blew them up and took pictures after we came back from the sunflower field.  Better late than never?



This little girl, my baby, was so excited to finally lose her first tooth!!!


Benjamin Franklin's father was a candle maker.  After learning this, William asked if we could make some candles.  After searching up supplies on the internet, I found that buying thrift store candles to chop up would be significantly cheaper than buying wax online.  So, we spent about a week taking turns with a vegetable peeler and knife, breaking the candles into wax pieces.


I scored a stock pot and sauce pan at a church sale.  Both had only metal handles,  which was ideal, since they were going straight into the fire.


Once the wax melted (it took hours for the fire to die down enough to put the pot on, then bring the water up to a temperature that would melt the wax!) it was finally time to dip!


Tiny little candles!



Grace joined us a little late, but her candles were still pretty good by the time we finished up (once the mosquitoes joined us.)


While Bill and Brenda were here, we also made the trip up to Uncle John's Cider Mill.  It was a beautiful day, so of course it was packed.  They got rid of the amusement rides that they once had, but between the jumping pillow, donuts, gift shop and car show, everyone had a nice time.




Watch out, Alice at the Wheel!


One weekend I volunteered at the Holt Art Commission (or committee or council or something.)  I just helped set up for the event, but did not return later, though I'm certain it was a good time. I'm documenting it just for my own personal reference.

As a delayed part of Alice's birthday, we drove over to Flint to check out a virtual reality park. It was pretty neat, but not fun enough to convince me to bring one home.




William is still enjoying his Karate.  On his latest stripe test, he earned a red stripe (which means he did really well and will test for his belt next week!)


Practicing his balance on a downed branch.



We had a nice visit with the Crockers, I'm glad they got to experience some of Michigan's nice weather!

later days 

No comments:

Post a Comment