04 August 2021

Murder Mystery Party, Year 3: Hawaii

For obvious reasons, we did not party in the summer of 2020, but thankfully did not have to skip our on our mystery party.  I had planned a 100 year house party, that would have taken the place of our mystery party anyhow.  So, really, this would have been year three even without corona!

The day before, Sarah helped me fill the swimming pools that my mom had collected earlier in the year with sand.  We used her truck to pick it up, and ended up with half of a cubic yard, which weighs over 1000lbs!

This year's murder happened on an estate in Hawaii.  Present at the party: an island chief of Polynesian descent (Jared, in a Maui costume!), a swimsuit model all the way from New York (Jessica), a local luau dancer (Me), an unlucky tourist (Billy), former surfer and coworker of the deceased (Matt) and millionaire's wife, possibly lover (Deb, who in reality was 8 months pregnant!), stumbling onto the scene of the crime was a golfer (Juliana.)


Emily wanted to make some fancy tags for all the guest cups, and Grace hand colored flowers to label all the plates.  It all came out so cute!  All of the pictures are courtesy of Deb's phone, since I hadn't had a chance to take pictures of anything!


Just the ladies in front of the tiki bar that Billy helped me build.  

During our warm spell in March or April? Emily came with me and we found a metal workbench, some boards for a bunk bed and a mirror on the side of the road.  Billy helped me put the stand and boards together, then we found a board in the shed to use as the roof.  The thatched top is actually cuttings from our ornamental grass in the front flowerbeds. It sat outside for months between making it and the party, but it looked so cute!


I painted the mirror with chalk paint, then used marker pens to make up the drink menu.  Grace and Juliet were asking me for the juices off of the menu for the entire week leading up to the party.


Grace and Emily were big helpers setting up the party, because poor Billy had a sleepless night and still had to go into work Friday morning.  So, he was trying to catch a nap before the party.  I was trying to put the finishing touches on the decor and finishes cooking the food, so it was a hectic afternoon.

The bone in pork loin (that I ended up at 3 different stores to track down) took so long to cook, but came out really really tasty!  We also had caramelized onions, pineapple & avocado salad, and bananas and berries in cream.  

Jessica and Deb took care of the kids food with pizza, pasta and so much fruit!!


The pig is kind of lost in the circle, so here it is before the party.  We had toyed with the idea of a real pig, but they only sell sucklings, and I didn't like that.  A search on the internet showed that I could also buy a dissectible pig, but same issue.  I found a life like looking magician's prop, but when I signed up for the site and went to ship it, it would have run over $30, just for a prop.  So, thrift shop for the win, sadly the only one they had was a tiny little Hamm, from Toy Story. lol 

He got to hang with us the entire time, since it was warm enough not to need the fire.


At one point, there was a cat that the kids found under our side deck, and thought that the correct course of action was to bring it inside the house.  Like I wouldn't notice when everyone is spending all evening in the girls room instead of on their computers? Or they all 'suddenly' want to sleep in the same room?  The cat was very sweet, but the kids would not leave it alone.  When our neighbors came home, they said that it was a stray, but that they were considering adopting it.  I was relieved to be rid of it, and it had only been a few hours!

It was a great time, our previous murderer was the prime suspect most of the evening.  But the cases against each suspect were fairly strong! 

It turns out that the murder was:

*Matt, as Bo-Jo*

which lead to a very entertaining conclusion for our evening. ; )  

I am so so thankful for this fun group of people, who show up in full costume and pour their energy into their characters! <3

Unsurprisingly, I'm already excited about next summer's murder!

later days

*the text here is white if you'd like to see who the guilty party turned out to be!

Our fun from last year can be found here.
The first year can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment