The invitations provided give a description of what each character would have worn. For this game there was a Ship Captain, Weeping Widow, Gambling Man, Scarlett Woman, Piano Man and a Stowaway.
I set the table with the antique China I inherited, which just happened to be time period appropriate* and finished making all but the chicken. I also made some cloth napkins, since ours are practical vs. pretty.
Full disclosure, the backpacks stayed put, but I did try to make it look a little less colorful. = )
When Jessica, Jared and their crew arrived, she helped me peel two heads of garlic, and luckily laughed when I realized I only needed two cloves. oops. She also helped measure the other spices and plucked off thyme leaves.
When Deb, Matt and their little ones got here, we sent the 12 kids out on the back patio to eat. They had quite a spread themselves. Jessica brought popcorn and watermelon, Deb brought mac and cheese with veggies, and Emily had laid out platters of crackers, meat and cheese! The men folk sat outside, while we finished up. Once the kids had eaten, we were ready to play.
The game comes with cassette tapes, so I had to buy a Walkman**, since I haven't had a cassette player since before Emily was born.
The game allowed for lots of breaks (and interruptions) but was so easy and fun to play! We were able to eat all four courses while playing, since it is mostly conversation.
We had varying options on who the murder was, and if memory serves Jared was the only one who figured it out.
All of the players had a good reason for wanting to kill off Mr. Thorpe IV, but only one did. Since I'm sending it along to Caroline, I'm not going to post spoilers, but it was good. = )
A close up of the gambler's bling:
later days
*1905
**somehow I managed a picture of the cassette player, but not the 12 children who were incredibly well behaved the entire evening. They were seriously so good.







No comments:
Post a Comment