28 December 2021

Gingerbread Houses and Other Holiday Fun

As soon as Grace spied the Molasses that I had ordered for the Gingerbread Houses, she asked me when we would tackle it.  After our 2nd to final school Thursday of the year, I told her we could do it.

The Pampered Chef mold we've used the last two years is awesome!  The recipe is perfect.  This year, we ended up making a double batch, because one of us miscounted the flour scoops. oops.  We also ended up adding shortening by the spoonful, until we got a nice sticky mixture.  But Emily was a great helper, and we made it happen.

While the gingerbread cooled in the fridge, we made some paper crowns for Christmas morning.  I found a lovely, easy tutorial online.

Grace also wanted to make one for Molly, but we had to modify the tutorial a bit of course.

And because gingerbread houses and Christmas crowns weren't enough, Grace also talked me into making a stocking for Molly in between baking rounds.


once all the pieces were baked and cooled, it was time to make the icing (by hand of course, not Billy's favorite.)


We had to make a run to Carl's for more powdered sugar, so we also grabbed a few other decorations for the houses.  Even Alice came in to help!


This was Alice and Grace's finished product.  

Emily and Juliet's didn't photograph as well. Next time I'll use the bumpy platter, it would look better than the foil lined box I think.

William wasn't feeling well earlier in the day, so he didn't come in for the house building.  But, once he saw the finished products, he wanted to join in too!  So, together we made a gingerbread "playground" with all of the leftover extras. = )



They acted as decorations for a week or so, then, we ate on them for the next week, and tossed them just before Christmas. = )

We bought some store cookie dough and icing to make some gingerbread cookies for Santa.  I can't believe how many years I missed out on gingerbread, since I had never had it fresh.  Glad I get to enjoy it now!

It was a busy day full of holiday cheer, and one I look forward to already in the new year!

later days

No comments:

Post a Comment