26 March 2023

Murdoch Mysteries

I'm of split mind whether to put this post at the beginning of this round, or at the end.  Either way, I'm writing it first, because I don't want to forget about "that one time..."

To tell the story properly, I need to go all the way back to February.  I try to take care to watch whatever is available on our streaming services (we have three: Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ (a gift from my sister))  but recently found out that with a library card I could watch a dozen or so movies or episodes a month with their service!

Their selection is small, but I was able to watch an Agatha Christy adaptation Marple.  Once I watched all that they had to offer, I used the remainder of the month on a Ray Bradbury Mystery Theater.  This was an interesting show, but with only a single season offered.  So, the next month, I decided to watch a Canadian show called The Murdoch Mysteries.  The library offered 13 or so seasons of it, so I figured I could watch my 12 episodes a month and have something to look forward to for the foreseeable future. This is where a problem occurred: I fell in love with the show.

So, once I finished my 12 episodes, I wanted more.  We used Billy's Hulu gift card, that he got for Christmas, and set up, yet another, streaming service to our house.  I was a happy camper, spending the bulk of my free time binging Murdoch.  Then, another problem cropped up a month or so in: Hulu was doing away with The Murdoch Mysteries. = (

I was devastated, because there was no way I would finish all the episodes before they were due to remove it (after all, spring is a super busy time for our children!)  So, once they finally took off Murdoch, we cancelled the subscription and picked up an Acorn subscription.  I was still bingeing and spending most of my free time watching Murdoch, so of course things in real life cropped up reminding me of the show. 


On the show, set in Toronto, Canada, they make fun of Americans, mostly, but also Winnipeg, which I find particularly funny, since my Canadaphile sister loves Winnipeg. 




In later seasons, they enjoyed ending the seasons with cliffhangers, so I watched until the action had plateaued and my characters were in relative safety, and stopped watching until the new season comes out.  This made for a happy break (knowing that I can pick it up at my leisure, instead of being 'helpless' until the next season comes out.)  And, now I can spend my free time doing other things that I enjoy, like blogging! = )

So, that is why some of the next ~25 posts might seem a little scarce in detail, because some of these events were over two months ago (but I'll do my best!)

later days

PS. a bonus 'meme' an out of order elevator that reminded me of one of my other favorite shows: Dr Who, "The Eleventh Hour" Episode with Matt Smith as the doctor.


edit: written 6-15-23, but backdated for continuity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment