During some of our warmer days in early spring, Billy and I filled up the raised bed, and refreshed the soil in the old garden.
It was still much to risky to plant outdoors, so the only thing we had in the garden was our onion pile from last year. At the end of last summer, I pulled up all the green onions and offered them to neighbors. Any unclaimed ones were tossed into a pile in the raised bed, which was being used as a kind of compost bin. They seemed to have survived the winter, and so instead of covering them, I dug up the whole lot of them and transplanted them to the corner of the raised bed. They have been so happy, and even flowering in their little corner!
Since they survived the winter and spring, they are ready to eat as needed! Hopefully they will spread along the edge of the bed, and that can just be their new home! = ) I kind of think of them as a little wild at this point.
3/4 of the squash plants Billy planted are flourishing in the raised bed, and 2 of them have tiny squash, that may or may not be pollinated. I haven't seen them flower yet, but maybe I just missed it?
Our sugar snap peas are happy campers! They liked their strange cages that I bought, and have had flowers for a few weeks now. We even spotted some baby pods!
I bought four tomato plants at the spring farmer's market. I planted two in the raised bed and two in the ground. Last year, the single plant that I purchased produced more tomatoes than I could eat, so four seemed a little bit like overkill, but with all the freeze and frost we got in May, maybe not. Not a week after I planted the ground ones, and some creature came along and ate the stem, leaves and all! = ( I think it must have been a bunny, and the ones in the raised beds were spared.
Our garden is still so small, I wonder if seeing the flowering and growing plants ever gets less exciting?
later days












No comments:
Post a Comment