17 January 2019

Ringing in the New Year

This year, new year's day was on a Tuesday, which meant that Billy had to work new year's eve.  Since Monday is my grocery day, the kids and I picked up a Kroger clicklist order, instead of all of us going in together.  I love this option!  Even without a holiday, I still like this option when I have everyone home.


Over the summer I bought some New Years' kits, so everyone got some noise makers and fancy headpieces to go with their sparkling grape juice!


Billy and I used our wedding flutes for some champagne.  As these things work out, I bought a different brand that I didn't care for, but he enjoyed it.


I think we did the Netflix countdown (the kids selected Boss Baby) around 9:45.



It was a fun low-key evening tor celebrate the move into 2019!

****************

A note that I've wanted to post for a while, on how we pronounce our years.  Back in the 20th century, everyone pronounced things nineteen-eighty or nineteen-ninety-four.  The thought of saying one-thousand-nine-hundred-ninety-nine is laughable.  No one said that.

Then when the year 2000 came around, everyone started saying two-thousand.  Even I used this because saying two-thousand-aught-seven sounds pretentious and unnecessarily long. Once we got to 2010 I noticed that there was slight shift.  Some people still say two-thousand-ten or two-thousand-fourteen, but others would say twenty-ten, or twenty-fourteen.  As we inch toward 2020, I think that people who say two-thousand-twenty will be in the minority.

twenty-twenty is almost here, and we are back to the "old way" of saying things.

***************

later days

No comments:

Post a Comment