13 September 2020

2nd Week of September

183rd Day of Quarantine.

The high today was 75F.

Today was an exciting day for my Grace; Molly came home from the doll hospital!


She arrived in her hospital gown, complete with ID band, discharge paper work, and a tiny get well soon card.  Grace was so happy and loved on her all day.

Is it Grace and Juliet? Nope, it's Grace and Molly, twinning!


For dinner we had Mac and Cheese, since that was what Grace and Juliet wanted to make.


------

182nd Day of Quarantine.

The high today was 73F.

9/11 is always a somber and reflective day.  As of today, I've spent as much of my life post-9/11 as I had pre-9/11.  

We finished our Alice in Wonderland read aloud. It was a nice end to what seemed like a really long week, despite the Monday holiday.

Once we were finished with our school day, I drove down to Charlotte to go to a rummage sale that I caught wind of.  I picked up another sale on the way down, and stopped in at the <cheaper> Goodwill to shop for some Halloween costumes.

For dinner I picked up Rally's and McDonald's on my way back from Charlotte.

I saw this sign posted at the taco bell, and this type of advertising on a "now hiring sign" just feels so appropriate for our current political/economic/pandemic.


------

181st Day of Quarantine.

The expected high today was 63F.  It was overcast and chilly.

Today was our last day of extra subjects to make up for having Monday off.  During the Alice in Wonderland read aloud, we did some watercolor painting.  It was a big hit.  Today's subject was Ward*.  







After lessons I went to the farmer's market and bought dinner, some flowers, produce and popcorn!  We had chicken satay, pad thai, and Billy had a burrito with chips and salsa.  I also bought a gourd for the kids to see, since it came up in our lesson on the purple martin today. 

*My poor plant that the chippunk, that lives under our porch, almost killed off by pulling off the leaves and digging up the roots!  It's doing well in recovery, inside our bathroom now.

-----

180th Day of Quarantine.

The expected high today was 63F.

The only things we added to our curriculum today were the composition part of Language Arts and Nature Study.  Strangely, that ended up adding hours to our day.  

For Nature Study, we were doing the Moth 'extensions' and it called for listening to "Autumn" by Vivaldi.  The kids were silly and tired by the time we got there, so it didn't go as well as I thought it would, but it was still pretty pleasant to lay on the floor, close our eyes and imagine floating leaves and cold wind.


Science called for the making of a shield, in true da Vinci style.  So, the big girls set to cutting and gluing and taping dragons on their shield.

Grace was the self designated "materials manager."



Today was also poetry day, so we had a particularly full afternoon!  The kids really enjoy the tea and biscuits though, and it is nice to see them so excited about 'poetry' even if it is only because of association.


After tea time, the big girls worked on step two of their shields: paper mache.  Truly, we could have skipped this, and my kitchen would have been so much cleaner and they wouldn't have minded even known the difference. But they really enjoyed it, and had so much fun. I just can't wait to see how their shields turn out!  (step three is to paint, and so we are now 'waiting' for them to dry.)



And, once our long day was winding down, our cleaning lady came a day early*! = 0  Usually I prep everything and tuck things out of the way, make sure A/E have their clothes hung and everyone folds up their blankets, but she caught us unprepared!

So, we had a mad rush, lots of things got tossed into computer cabinets and we tried to say out of the way.  She had been coming during the day, but with all the kids out of school, we are back to an evening schedule.  Of course, that is immaterial to us, since we are here all day, every day.

For dinner we had Salisbury steak and potatoes, which is not the worst meal to try to clean up before my kitchen was thoroughly cleaned.  But the dishwasher was full of our tea dishes, so my little tub that holds the dirties was working overtime.

After dinner I cleaned off my desk, and worked on a few more loads of laundry.

*this was the first time she's been in since March, and while I try to keep things clean, I would have been better prepared tomorrow.

------

179th Day of Quarantine.

The high today was an exceptionally cold 58F.  The twins broke out scarves gloves and ear warmers for recess.  We are all in for a long winter.


In science the big girls tried to make a 'floating animal' from the da Vinci book.  It didn't turn out so great.  Emily's kind of floated once it dried, but Alice's was just a sticky mess.  At least we had fun.


For dinner we had pork and beans with the leftover hotdogs. 

I finished watching a netflix romcom Love Guaranteed.  It was sweet and completely unremarkable.  

I also worked on ordering books, or tracking down the websites that we will be using in the near future.  I am finding it very hard to believe that we are already in week 4 of our school year!

------

Quarantine 178th Day of Quarantine

The high today was 79F. It was a rainy morning, and still pretty cool in the shade.

The Crockers left before noon.  I snapped a few pictures so that Brenda could have a recent one with each of the kids.




I enjoyed a leisurely shopping trip to the VOA before driving to Grand Ledge to pick up Dairy Queen for dinner.  

------

Quarantine 177th Day of Quarantine.
 
The expected high today was 71F.

Church had a few issues this morning, but I did get to see the end of service at least.  After church I went to pick up the groceries and then stopped at a garage sale.

Billy and I went to menards and dollar tree in grand ledge to try and track down a hinge that was out of stock at the one closer to us.

After our errand we found a Dairy Queen.  It is a proper Dairy Queen with chicken strips and white gravy!


For dinner Billy grilled out hot dogs, sausages and barbeque chicken.

He also broke out the heat lamps (for the 3rd time ever.)  And it was really chilly out/


-------

later days


No comments:

Post a Comment