This summer, when I enrolled the big kids (a week before the start of school) I asked about programs for my little girls. They sent me to a school in the next town over, and the office staff there sent me to a website.
I filled out the online forms, received a computer generated message that essentially told me to be patient and that they'd get to me.
When we went in to the pediatrician, the nurse practitioner told me that a month before and a month after the start of school is busy time for them, and to give it until October. I wanted to know, so that I could get them in for private therapy if the school was not an option.
The beginning of October came, so I called the number on the email. Like every other phone in this state, it went unanswered, so I left a voicemail.
Shockingly, someone called me back, but I missed the call* but her message said that she was out of office for the rest of the week. I called her back and left a message that I had received her message. lol. (I think I'm funny)
Anyhow, after the weekend, she did call me back and we discussed getting the twins in for assessment. Their paid program was full, but was more of a preschool set up, not a speech therapy environment.
That afternoon (so fast for this state!) the lady to whom she had referred them called me back, and said that since they had an active IEP already, that they were eligible, and she would get their info over to the school. Somehow they had been overlooked, but she was very apologetic. She also said they were pretty good about getting back to people the same day or next day.
This was the week that my kids were out on fall break, however, so I told her that most likely they were out too.
So it was this week that I heard back from their school. It was Monday morning, when the very helpful office lady instructed me to go to the website that I had used to register the big kids, and set up an appointment. She was hopeful that they might even be able to start the following Monday. I thank told her that normally I would sign off with her and log onto my computer to register them, but that I was out of pocket at the hospital with my son.
Tuesday afternoon, I made it a priority to register my little ones, but I was not able to commit to an appointment until Thursday morning. After the appointment, we went to their school to check out their classroom and meet their teachers.
I think they would have happily stayed that moment if I had just dropped them off.
So, now, I'm waiting on a call from the bus system, to get their transportation arranged, and they are good to go (and quite excited might I add!) They will go four half days a week M/T/Th/F, so my guess is that they will start Thursday.
later days
*apparently I'm part of the problem!


No comments:
Post a Comment