11 May 2019

History for Sale

When we lived in England, we did not have any children.  I spent my days enjoying every novelty in Leeds that I could.  One of my activities was thrift store shopping (shocker) and it was then that I gave Agatha Christie a try.

After devouring Murder on the Orient Express, I purchased and read every used copy of her work that I could find.  When we travelled home, I continued my collection, and my mom added many of her titles to my bookshelf.

I've read every mystery novel that she wrote, as many short stories as I could find, and her autobiography (as well as a few biographies.)  She was an amazing, prolific writer. 

All of that to say, I decided to sell my collection.  Should I ever reread her work, it will be in a convenient format (like my kindle) not the TINY paperback print I read almost a decade ago.

So,  I took an inventory, snapped some pictures and posted it on ebay.  It was a week long auction that sold in the final hour.  I was sad.



But, upon boxing up, I reclaimed an entire shelf for our game collection.


This encouraged me to get a move on planning a party:


We played elefun:


Alice piloted her single player game and ended up playing for over an hour:


And we had to race to the top of the Scooby-Doo tower.


So, I traded books I had no intention of reading ever again, for precious game time with my family.  I'd say I came out ahead. = )

**************

I also made the tough call of getting rid of a beautiful turtle that Christin bought me when she lived with us, 20 years ago.



It was not a decision made lightly, and so I took pictures and sent her a message.  My turtle will now cycle through my digital picture fame, getting way more views than he has in a long time!

Today, at my yard sale, he went home (for a quarter) with a gentlemen who's intention was to put him out in the garden where he buried his beloved dog.  This thought makes me very happy. = )

***********************

And, we sold a wig* today (or maybe we donated it.)  Avia has all the pictures of Emily donning it, pretending to be her twin, but I thought William wore it well too. = )


later days

*we'd bought it last summer for Emily's snowman box, but none of her snowmen ever wore it, so it had to go. = )

No comments:

Post a Comment