21 July 2022

Our Pocket Garden, Year 1

When it comes to mowing my lawn, I use a tractor type mower.  This means it is a pain to back into an area to mow it.  The area between our house and carport never looked all that great, and for 2 years now I've been wanting a garden, but did not want to "mow around" it.  

Well, the obvious solution finally hit me: put a garden in the spot I don't like to mow!

I put sand in the corners to kill off some weeds and shoveled 1.5 yards of cubic dirt out of my sister's truck when the weather was still trying to kill me.  I followed all the advice, from everyone.  We started some plants inside, and some plants outside, and bought the tomato plant already started.

All of the work and waiting was finally worth it, when we spotted our first baby cucumber last week!!

Billy's onions.

My still green tomatoes.  There are like 20 of them on there, but none are turning red!!

Our little sugar snap pea plants.

Well, it turns out our vines had more than 'baby' cucumbers.  We found some giants hiding under the leaves on the ground!  And now, we really have so many cucumbers, I don't know what we'll do with them all!  If any locals need a few, please feel free to stop by and help yourself!  

But we made a start with cucumber sandwiches and a side of cucumber!

And, excitement of excitements, we found a baby pumpkin on one of our vines!!!!! Then we found two more!!!!! I have images of filling my front porch steps with pumpkins from our very own garden!  We'll see how they do; my sister says they need a lot of water.


We've had enough success, that Billy is talking about making a couple of raised beds in the back, so that we have more room to grow things that need full sun.  

I'm just thrilled that we got anything! And hopefully you'll see a picture of our "orange" front steps come October. ; )

later days

No comments:

Post a Comment