She selected the parrot, since one of her classmates had claimed snakes already. The presenter was expected to give the title, read the dedication, introduction their favorite excerpt from their book, and about the author.
Alice was next to last, but was confident in her reading, though takes after her mother, and had a bit of trouble reading her own writing.
As we were filing out for the cookie and juice reception in the library, I saw that the district superintendent had attended the event. This reinforced my already positive opinion of him.
Alice read me her entire book, and she mentioned that parrots ate bugs and seeds. Also, sometimes the male parrot will regurgitate his food and offer it to his mate. I told Alice I would rather eat a bug than something Billy regurgitated and she looked horrified. (but it's true)
She headed back to class, and I immediately sought out William's class, since they had started their picnic 15 minutes before Alice's ended.
**********************
After helping his teacher set up the indoor teddy bear picnic*, I found William on the playground with his class. They were taking an extra recess, and not long after Alice came out for her normal recess time!
After we feasted, William's teacher presented certificates, and bubbles to his class.
The afternoon came quickly, and their class took their regular recess at the park across the street. There were plenty of parents and adult attendees to help keep eyes on their little class.
I left before they walked back, so that I could spend a few moments with Emily in her class. She was sad to see me go, so I walked with her to art class and said my goodbyes at the door.
I returned to my charges quickly, so that my mom could go catch the new star wars movie. = )
It was another fun and educational day, but we still had at least a few days left of school, and all my children wanted to do when they came home was play outside in the glorious, 15 hours of daily summer sunlight.
later days
*it had been drizzling that morning






No comments:
Post a Comment