08 July 2023

....and the Garden Grew

So, on the surface, it looks like these are back-to-back garden posts, but I'm making them approximately 3 weeks apart, so there has been tremendous growth and serval 'harvests.' = )

A harvest of sugar snap peas, we get this many, from 5 plants, every 3-4 days!


No before picture, because I couldn't wait any longer to enjoy our first cooked squash of the year!!!


This was the second squash harvest, the big one was intentional, the smaller one was not.  I was attempting to adjust the smaller one so that I could grow more easily, but it popped right off as I was adjusting it.  Grace was disappointed that there was not more to be had after we cooked them up! 


Yesterday's heartvest*, before the kids ate all of the sugar snap peas!  We probably had double the amount here, but they are so tasty!!!


The tomato plants are massive!!!  There are dozens of tomatoes on each one, but none of them are red yet!





I scored a freebie Cabbage plant at a rummage sale, and i think it's transplanted well, but not growing super fast.  The sugar snap peas do block a little of the sunlight, so that may also be affecting its growth?


The sugar snap peas have all outgrown their supports!  They seem to still be making new flowers and plenty of peas though. = )



It turns out that we did not give our squash plants enough space, because they are all crowded, but producing squash at a fantastic rate! = )




The green onion plants are huge and gave us a few shoots for our fried squash today.  yum!!


At that same rummage sale, I also got another tomato plant, but it doesn't seem to have transplanted very well. = (


One of our (5) cucumber plants has a flower!!!!! 



One of the pumpkin plants has taken over the garden, and the smaller one is trying to stake it's claim.  The smallest of the pumpkin plants hasn't really taken off yet, so I'm not sure if it will.


The tomato plant we had last year produced more tomatoes than we could even pick, and from one of the fallen tomatoes, a plant has grown!!!  It's having to fight for it's place in the garden, but I think it might have it's niche! = )


We already have a laundry list of what we want to grow next year, and I'm sure we will not have enough space!  

later days

*sarah coined it, and Emily loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment