12 December 2017

A challenge posted at the Twins' School

Last night, when my phone reminded me, I took William's library book out of his book bag and slipped it into his backpack (Emily read hers last night, so it was already by her backpack.) 

This morning, as we were packing up the big kids regular shoes, lunches, waters, etc. I noticed that his library book was not in his bag.  It was unlikely that anyone would have taken it out, since his bag had not moved, and we don't tend to have leisure time in the mornings.

I checked Emily's bag, Alice's bag, my computer, anywhere I thought I might have just set it "right quick," but could not find it.  Since all of the backpacks are in a row, I thought maybe I slipped it into Grace's but they had already left on the bus.

So, at drop off, I asked his teacher what time they went to the library.  I had about two hours to drive (in the snow) to the twins' school to check and see if it were in there and make it back.  [And if not, tear the house apart to find it.]

After a slow, and momentarily frightening trip, I was thankfully met with success.  I retrieved the book and headed back to my car.  On the way out, I found this sign:


Thanks for the "challenge" y'all, but this is an easy one: AEWGJ

Still, I thought I would take a moment and list 5 additional things that I am thankful for today.  Though, I might not make it a practice every day, but probably should.

1.  I am thankful that my husband works so hard everyday, so that I can be home and take care of the kids and household.  I love that I was able to do things like rectify my mistake with William's library book, so that he didn't have to miss out because of me.  Having time before the darkness falls to shovel and salt the sidewalk.  Being able to call to make appointments, even if they don't call me back.^  I am thankful that I get to be the one to get my Grace and Juliet off of the bus, and give my big kids giant hugs when they run out the door.

2. I am thankful for internet shopping, for all the many, many things I buy.  Specifically, it allows me to stay stuck in my ways and order the coffee that I've enjoyed for as long as I can remember, since I can order it from Louisiana and have it shipped to my door.*

3. Shutterfly helped make my day.  When I ordered my cards, I updated my address only to find that on the shipping receipt it was actually the billing address that I changed, not the shipping. = (  I followed my package as it travelled all the way to Waxahachie, and then sat.  I gave it a week (trying to patiently wait, but in a hurry to send out my cards so that people have our new address, and can send cards our way!) but there it sat at the College St. post office.  So I sent customer service an email, and they messaged me back that they were shipping out a reorder to my new address!

I am thankful that they were so accommodating, especially since tt was my fault, and most of my cards were purchased with pampers points.** It was unexpected, and greatly appreciated.

4. I am thankful for friends (near and far) who help make life a little better with pictures and memes and texts in the middle of the day.

5. I am thankful for Christmas and all that it brings.  For that baby in the manger who grew to show us all how to love.

I could go on and on, because I have so very, very much to be thankful for, but I will leave it at five for tonight.

later days

^Seriously. What is wrong with this state?  <- That is a loaded question.
*I know that there were ways of doing this before the internet, but I doubt any of them were as convenient.
**This was my final year to order with those points, since I no longer have diaper wearing babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment