Waiting for Christmas is so tough when you are a kid! We did our best to bide our time.
I am working hard to let the kids have natural consequences for things (i.e. If you don't get your backpack out of the car, it will still be in there the next morning.) I'm such a micromanager, that it has been hard to not just grab it for them, but I'm working on it.
On that same note, I'm also a big fan of trading off my chores for rewards. The three big kids have been packing up their lunch each night, so that they can stay up an extra 5 minutes.* I don't know how long this will last, but it is amazing. I help them clean up a bit, and pick out the correct containers, but they have been doing an awesome job.**
Legos have been a big hit with the twins lately, and while Avia was here one afternoon, the big kids wanted to join in building too, before she left.
Juliet and Grace love to dress up!
Why play on your own computer, when you can just watch big sister play?
I assembled Aunt Rocky's Christmas present, and of course William wanted to play in it. The twins wanted to help, so they put on the cover. = )
The snow had melted just a bit, but then it started to come down again.
Alice was so excited to build her airplane model, and was beyond disappointed when the paint and glue were dried out. = ( We tried soaking them in water to see if that would help, but couldn't recover them.
Billy and I made a special trip to the dollar tree while everyone was in school on Friday, and got Alice some paint, and glue. As fate would have it, there was one small diy wooden birdhouse model right next to the paint. So, of course, I bought it for Emily, since she lives for crafts. = ) They were quite excited to get to work.
The snow did eventually stop.
It picked back up after the morning Christmas eve service, and with no schools in session, the plow and salt trucks were scarce. So we didn't go anywhere that evening. = )
Alice was the last one awake on Christmas eve, so she wrote the note to Santa. We have a chimney for our furnace, but no inside fireplace. Alice was worried that santa would be scared of the dark in our basement, but I told her that he could probably tap Rudolph and his nose. Because of that, she left Rudolph the longest carrot she could find, and several shorter ones for the other reindeer. = )
Especially on Christmas eve, it is nice to slow down and reflect, instead of go go go, on what an amazing gift this season brought.
later days
*William, not yet 6, does not have any minutes, so this was 100% increase for him. Emily has 10 minutes because she loads her own dishes into the dishwasher and now 5 more for lunch making. Alice has 10 for dishes, 2 for hanging up her own clothes, and 2 for collecting all the dirty laundry from around the house, plus her 5 for making lunch. = )
And maybe don't mention it to them, but it takes them longer than 5 minutes to make their lunch. They just do it so cheerfully and willingly!
**Emily is to thank for this actually. One night she made her own lunch so that I "could go to bed earlier," since I'm usually very tired in the evenings. = ) She something special, our Emily.








No comments:
Post a Comment