01 December 2019

Alice visits the Michigan State Capitol

Last month the 4th graders visited the Michigan Capitol.  There was not enough space on the bus, so chaperones were requested to meet them onsite.  It's only a 20 minute drive to downtown, so I beat the bus there, since I left straight from morning drop off.

The parking was closer to the hall of Justice, which is where they were finishing their trip.  I took a picture before I met up with the class.


I'm not sure what this system warns of, but I'm glad it didn't go off while I was walking by.


Does the capitol building look familiar? Probably because the architect, Elijah Meyers, designed both buildings.




The floor they were sitting on is translucent, so people below could see their shadows. = )



The stars at the top are painted with gold and platinum paint.


Inside the governor's office.


We passed through the rotunda several times.


The representative from our county was there to give us a tour of the floor (otherwise we would have just been able to peek in from the door.)



The light panels had each state represented, if they said why I didn't catch it.



The Senate was meeting while we were there, so we didn't get too close as part of the tour.


The ladies painted represent 8 virtues, but I don't know which ones.

In the former Supreme Court room.


In the new Supreme Court Room.  The lady in the background is the Michigan Chief Supreme Court Justice, and Alice is sitting in her seat.  She was the one that gave us a few details about the legal system in Michigan.


It was a fun, informative trip.  I learned quite a bit about the state we currently live in.  I was really glad it was indoors (for the most part.)  I hope Alice remembers it fondly too.

later days

later days

No comments:

Post a Comment