On a Friday in mid-November we made the drive up to Grand Rapids. 4 (well actually all 5, but I missed that Alice was actually on the schedule too) of my little ones had appointments with the Endocrinologist.
I have a special bag that we only bring out on these long trips to the hospital. They were pretty well entertained while we waited.
Grace and Juliet looked good. They are still on the curve, and growing well. She wanted regular bloodwork for WGJ, and ordered x-rays for all 4. Emily's were for a baseline, WGJ were just routine.
First we discussed Emily and her crashes. The doctor wanted us to meet with her regular pediatrician. She wants to explore the idea of possible migraines, but is not convinced that this is an endocrine issue. So, we have an action plan in place at her school and home for that. I also have to keep a log of her crashes & recovery times.
While I was subbing at the kids' school one day, the hospital called (twice), I figured that it was just lab results (and they failed to realize that multiple results were going to be addressed with the same phone number.) So, when I checked my voicemail and heard the doctor's voice, my heart sank.
I don't like it when the doctor calls. They only call with bad news, and they are the ones that call because they can field all the questions. So, I called her back.
William is currently under the curve in weight, and barely hanging on in height. The doctor called because this, combine with the lab results of a low growth hormone have her concerned.
Apparently he makes two types of growth hormone, one is related to diet, the other is more of an automated system. It is difficult to get a solid answer from a single blood draw, because of the cyclical nature of the growth hormone.
It is extra concerning, because they are currently testing the drug he takes for his hpp on people with small stature as a type of growth aide in Japan. But he's already on it. = (
So, she wants him to come in for a 3 hour test They will give him a stimulant to trigger his growth hormone, and, through an IV, draw blood every 30 minutes. His appointment isn't until the last day of January, which is such a long time to worry over my little boy.
We met with the pediatrician for his yearly check up, and she will follow his tests in the computer. She recommended adding pumpkin seeds (high protein) to his diet, in addition to the protein milk that the endocrinologist requested we use.
Emily left some art for the doctor (& nurses.)
On our way to x-ray. I told them we would do this a single time (as we had a tight schedule to keep.)
Xray was a little slower than normal since they had just upgraded their system, so when we left, we didn't even have time to eat our packed lunch. We headed straight for ophthalmology.
In the waiting room, Emily was doing some brain teasers with me. She figured out the first one before I did! I was so proud.
We headed back to the cafeteria to enjoy our late packed lunch. We were able to take our time, since the lab work that the doctor had put in could be worked in around our schedule.
After 3 quick blood draws, we were heading home! I felt like this trip was easier than usual, probably because I had Emily, who is such a good helper, along. = )
*****************
At the follow up with the pediatrician, for Emily, we discussed the endocrinologists migraine theory. I'm not completely convinced, but we're going to follow her directions just the same. After Emily described her symptoms, in great detail, the pediatrician wanted her to go in for an EEG.
Her symptoms could be the aftermath of some very short seizures. This theory seems more plausible to me, as seizures are a known symptom of hypophosphatasia. I haven't scheduled her appointment yet, but I'm hoping to swing it on the same day as William's test.
Her instructions were that Emily would have to go to sleep, as usual, then I would have to wake her up at midnight and keep her awake until the test. And, she doesn't get any caffeine, including chocolate. = /
Between William and Emily my sleep has been a little less restful than it was. Hoping for positive (or negative as the case may be) results from all of this testing. And that we can get them both healthy soon.
later days
<what happened previously
what happened next>






No comments:
Post a Comment