23 March 2020

March 23rd, Day 10 of Flattening the Curve, School at home day 6

The expected high today 44F, but there was snow on the ground when we awoke. = (  I had planned a trip to sam's and place and order with Kroger to supplement missing items, so I was extra disappointed about the added obstacle of slippery roads.

I was out the door before 8 though, so I had time to run the recycling to Sarah's (and drop mail in the post box.)  Thankfully the snow was only on the grass and was already starting to melt.


I paid the big girls $5 each to help Grace (Alice) and Juliet (Emily) finish their school work, and an extra dollar to help William if he needed it.

I was the 5th person in line, at 8:30.  Once they opened at 9, they only allowed 30 shoppers in at a time.  Items were limited to one* per person, which is tough for me, since there are so many of us to feed, but I managed what I could.  They had almost everything on my list, except for chocolate syrup, tortillas, our favorite chicken bites and milk.  (It probably helped that I had shopped online first to see what they already had marked as "out."  They were really low on potatoes, frozen meat, deli meat, rice, peanut butter and soap.


As I was leaving the lady asked if I were "stocking up," and I actually responded, out loud: "no, I have five kids, this is a typical week."

Way back when, when the twins and I would shop, they would have to hold things in their laps because I didn't have a spot for everything in the cart.  Then, once they started the 'shop online' option, I was all about it and my life became so much easier!  It is tiring to do it old school! ; ) Thankfully I was still able to log in and use the 'scan and go' feature of their app, so I did not have to stand in line to check out (or touch any of the registers/card machines.)


The snow was quickly melting as I dropped off a few things with Jessica, and headed to pick up my Kroger order.  There were lots of people in the pick up slots again (4-5 this time) and the poor guy was bringing out loads alone.

My final stop was to take a few items to the food bank at the Presbyterian church in Holt, then it was home to unpack all the groceries.  I wore gloves for the majority of my expenditure, and it just feels so weird.

The kids were mostly finished with their school work (except for William) and they had done an excellent job of keeping the counters cleared for groceries.

Billy called for take out at Charlie's, and went to get it while I finished tucking away all the groceries. I was happy to not have to stress about feeding everyone while all surfaces were covered in groceries.

After lunch it was time for outside recess (again) and the kids were building snow structures.


And now, (just after 3pm) the snow is mostly melted, except where the kids compacted it.

William took a short nap, and Emily and Alice made chocolate milkshakes for everyone. = )

I pulled out our DVD/CD tub to catalog.  I cleaned out a (very) few titles that I no longer feel the need to keep.  Going through the videos is a little like going through a time capsule though.  I kept listing of titles to get rid of that are "Billy's movies" until he caught on and took exception to it. = )


For dinner we had corndogs, carrots and leftovers (for me.)  William did finally finish his list around 6.  Hopefully tomorrow he will get back into the grove we found at the end of last week!

later days

P.S.  I was able to buy 5 of the Easter Egg sets to gift the kids from Enisi and Edudi, which made me happy. = )

No comments:

Post a Comment